The Persian Obsession?
The power in culture is immense, I can say that from experience, from an environment, and so on. So it's from the ideas and believes from culture that might leave us "non-thinking".
I come from a place where most people haven't heard of, and as cheesy as it might sound, but yes - living a country full of different cultures I can say I almost do feel unique. I never run into another one of "my kind". In fact, we might be able to count ourselves.
So back to the title of this blog - the persian obsession - this is something that also seems to exists within our little circle. I know people of my ethnicity that live in Iran.
So I wonder why when we are so proud of our ethnicity and claim to be united by this very relation, we still have the urge to be claimed as looking "persian". Because of course, fair is better, but the amount of pride that I've seen some people take in being called/noticed for being Iranian is almost, yes-funny.
There is so much pride and almost as if they have acquired something so great, to the point they can stick their nose up in the air to know they are actually great - because they almost look "persian".
I can probably go on about this, but the truth of the matter is the pride in our "race" can be questioned. The more persian you look, the better you are. It's a circle, so I hope that in 2 generations or maybe 1, the colour of skin and the claim of looking "persian" won't be the greatest achievement for someone. Or maybe, this is a never ending story, because the rivalry between the colour of skin is probably to stay for a long time, not in one corner - but rather in all corners.
0 comments:
Post a Comment